History of the Hunt Club
The land that the Hunt Club estate is being developed on was once host to the Melbourne Hunt Club, home of Melbourne’s equestrian elite.
The Melbourne Hunt Club was founded by George Watson in 1853 and moved to its present location in the 1920’s. The club attracted many high profile and notable riders and was recognised as the best in Australia.
The property spanned in the order of 70 hectares and included kennels to house the foxhounds and a clubhouse for social gatherings after races. The Annual Melbourne Hunt Club Ball was a highlight and held in high regard along with many highly social affairs, attracting the Governor and as many as 300 socialites from around the country.
From the 1920s to 1995, the Melbourne Hunt Club thrived on tradition and its success relied on passing the sport on to generations. The remaining original jumps and brush fencing now live on at the Cranbourne Pony Club, after being donated by the Dennis Family Corporation.
Development of the estate first started in 2000, and the first allotment was sold in 2001. Today the estate covers an area over 211 hectares and provides three distinct open space areas featuring wetlands, the restored Hunt Club Gardens and a lake for residents to enjoy.